"once you choose hope, anything is possible"

Friday, February 21, 2014

meet monte

You know those weeks where you just feel like no matter what you do you are 2 steps and 15 minutes behind? It has definitely been one of those weeks for me. After a weekend spent with my family in Milwaukee, my monday started off with a lot of tears and even more priorities that I had forgotten about during the weekend. I have spent the last 5 days running around like a crazy person, working ridiculous hours, forgetting about necessities like food and sleep, and trying to catch up even though my efforts sometimes seem futile.Yesterday after I finally got home from a 14 hour long day I sat down at the kitchen counter and within minutes I was surrounded by my 4 best friends, my roommates, asking me how my day way, if they could make me dinner, if I needed any help. As I sat there trying to fight back the inevitable tears, I realized how incredibly lucky I was that these 4 incredible women were brought into my life.

Through my blog you have all heard about my 2 closest and first friends here at Marquette, Catherine and Shannon; the two that have stood by my side through all of my best and worst times. Last year when we decided we wanted to live together, we also chose to live with two girls that Catherine knew, but I didn't very well: Emma and Lauren. While I was a little hesitant at first, looking back on it now it seems silly. These two girls have become some of my favorite people at Marquette and life at Monte is definitely the highlight of my whole college experience thus far. Sometimes I try to imagine what junior year would have been like if we would have decided to find a three bedroom, or if we had chosen two other roomates, but it is honestly something I can't even picture. Between Emma's incredible sense of humor, Shannon's endless hugs and outpouring of love, Lauren's kindness and compassion (and cleanliness :) ), and Catherine's energy and spirit, Monte just seems to work. This year has been filled with so much laughter, impromptu dance parties, snuggle sessions, family dinners, nights out, and memories I will never forget.


Sometimes it is really easy for me to lose sight in all the amazing things in my life. I get so wrapped up in the stress of school and work or the personal things that I am dealing with that I just forget that I have such a happy life. I am so lucky that I get to live with 4 of my best friends, go to a school I adore, work 2 challenging yet rewarding jobs, and have the time of my life as a college dancer. I hate those days where I lose sight of that and have breakdowns sitting at the kitchen counter, so I am even more thankful that I have 4 girls who will put on Beyonce Pandora and gently remind me that I have a really great life.

My upcoming birthday has me a little bit down. I feel like I always have a hard time around holidays or mile stones because it reminds of how much or how little has changed in a year. This year especially with all the ups and downs that have happened in the last 365 days. After last night though I know it is going to be okay, and that this birthday weekend will be one of my best. And I know I can thank Monte for that.

So today I choose joy. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment